Why scary movies aren’t as scary as they used to be


I love watching horror films. Although I am easily scared by the simplest things, I am still a fan of the genre. Maybe that’s even the actual reason why I love it so much. I don’t know if most of you have noticed this, but I just realized that more than half of the horror movies coming out nowadays are not even close to being as scary as they used to be. Gone are the days when I sit down in a theatre (or my living room), watch a scary movie, and actually become ‘scared’. I miss the adrenalin rush and the goose bumps. I guess I became jaded with the never ending parade of the same old predictable storylines. Well, from where I’m standing, I can see clearly that the reason for this is the continuous blossom of technology, which in my opinion ruined everything that is pure and good about horror films. Let me explain this further. The earliest attempt to scare the bejezus out of audience had been very successful. This is due to the fact that there isn’t a lot of technology to help the film makers to produce a somewhat decent film. This leads to them relying mainly on what they actually have; creativity and imagination. I was born in 1986, but there is a bunch of great horror flicks way back before I was even born. Take for instance, ‘The Exorcist’, released in 1973, and is widely considered as the best horror movie of all time. Imagery is very important, and the latter provides viewers all the imagery that they could (or could not) handle. But this is history. Isn’t the movies today supposed to be better than those from 30 years ago. Yep, technology... since there is much you can do with technology now, especially in adding SFX in a movie; film makers tend to overdo it. What I noticed with the horror films coming out nowadays is that they have the best special effects though these effects seem to not convey anything to viewers other than disappointment. Maybe the effects are so clean and believable that it makes the entire movie quite boring. As for remakes, most of the time when viewers compare the original with the remake, the original is almost always the better choice. Well, that’s about all for this topic. For now, I’ll just sit around and wait for that ‘special movie’ that will scare the living daylights out of me... again.

0 comments:

 

productive boredom Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice